Saturday, September 5, 2009

Heart pulled Apart: Relationships

I think it is a fact of life that all college freshman girls will be hit on numerous times during their first few weeks at school.

Call me silly, but I don't like it. To tell the truth, it even scares me a little. When I was in Tokyo, I had Joe and Ben to scare the guys away. At home, I have a very caring father and uncle who would do anything for me. They would scare away guys that I am not interested in, or that are being to pushy. Here, I feel like I have no one. These guys on my team, they are supposed to be my defenders, I wanted them as friends, as brothers! Instead, they want to go on dates!

I am just a simple, naive girl. I am not opposed to the idea of dating, I am simply easily scared off. (One guy was patient enough in high school, but unfortunately things did not work out for us). I considered Josh Harris's view in I Kissed Dating Goodbye, but I disagree with his conclusions. Feel free to disagree in the comments :)

Regardless, All this attention forces me to reconsider the importance of my faith. Would it be detrimental to my faith to date a respectful man casually that shares my values but not my beliefs? I have thought and prayed about it, and as much as some of these guys are genuinely good men, I don't think I can ever date someone that does not genuinely live their life for Christ (Do not yoke yourself with an unbeliever).

One of my friends shared a lovely quote with me: "A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ, that a man should have to seek Him first to find her." What a beautiful thought! I pray that I will always seek first Christ's kingdom.

~AB
"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ".


2 comments:

  1. Tokyo? I made it there once, wish I could go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun! I hope to go back someday too!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments respectful regardless of your opinions on the post above!